MEETING AGENDA – January 28, 2020 @ 6:30 PM
- Officer Elections
- 2020 Budget
- Measure J for Contra Costa County Transportation Agency
- Membership Renewal
Meeting Location: 545 Ashbury Ave, Back Building, El Cerrito
* Meeting Minutes
6:00 Doors Open: Pizza available ($5)
6:30 Call to Order
6:35 Election of Officers
See slate recommended by Executive Board below
6:40 Treasurer’s Report
Budget for 2020
6:45 Other Officer Reports
6:50 Report from Club Representative to Central Committee
6:55 Upcoming ECDC Meetings and Events
February 25, 2020
Discussion and selection of meeting programs for 2020
Measure J for Contra Costa County Transportation Agency
8:15 Announcements and Good of the Order
Executive Board Recommended Candidates for ECDC:
- President – Janet Abelson *
- Executive Vice President: Champagne Brown (currently VP Membership) *
- Vice President Membership: Greg Lyman *
- Vice President Treasurer: Kathy Fleming *
- Vice President Publications (Newsletters): Hari Lamba *
- Vice President Records (Secretary): Glen Nethercut *
- Vice President Programs: Margaret Kavanaugh-Lynch *
- Vice President Media (Website): vacant
* indicates current office holder
Annual Membership Renewal Period is NOW – Please renew for member benefits
ECDC membership runs from January 1st to December 31stof each calendar year. 2019 members can renew anytime before June 1st, and must be renewed to participate in any club votes – like election of club officers, approval of the 2020 Annual Budget and deciding about 2020 Programs on Tuesday January 28th (fourth Tuesday of the month). After June 1st, members from 2019 are treated like new members, and must wait the minimum waiting time to participate in Club endorsement votes (for example: the 2020 Presidential Candidate Endorsement). New members who join after September 1st, 2020 are members for the balance of 2020 and all of 2021 before they need to renew in January 2022. Membership is $20 for one person at an address, $30 for two at the same address, and $5 for students. Please add an additional $12 if you request a hardcopy newsletter delivered to your mailing address. If you do not remember if you have renewed for 2020, please email email@example.com .
- Renew online at www.ecdclub.org , AND/OR
- mail a check (made out to El Cerrito Democratic Club) to ECDC, P.O. Box 192, El Cerrito, CA 94530, or 3) bringing your payment to the January 28, 2020 meeting. If you mail in your dues payment, please provide us with your name(s), address and email.
ECDC Membership General Meeting – November 26, 2019
- Call to Order
President Janet Abelson began the meeting of the El Cerrito Democratic Club at 6.30pm.
A motion to approve minutes of the September 24, 2019 and October 26, 2019 Club meetings was seconded, and unanimously approved.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Other Officers’ Reports
Election of Club Officers for 2020 will occur at the January 28, 2020 meeting. Members interested in serving were asked to contact Janet.
- Report from Club Representative to the DPCCC
- Upcoming ECDC meetings/speakers
- December 6, 2019 at 6.30pm: Club Holiday “Taco Time” Party at Janet’s house, 7 Pomona Ave., El Cerrito
- January 28, 2020: First Club meeting of the new year
David Gibson, El Cerrito Battalion Chief and Fire Marshall, discussed fire prevention efforts by the El Cerrito Fire Department in the era of global warming and power outages by PG&E. David, who has been with the Department for 36 years, said El Cerrito implemented a “very aggressive” vegetation management program in 2019. The Department makes recommendations concerning private properties posing a risk, and the City Council authorizes citations. Over 900 citations were issued in 2019 – three times the number of previous years. Property owners will have 30 or more days to bring their property into compliance prior to being re-inspected.
The Department subscribers to the Diablo Fire Safe Council recommendations regarding vegetation, and promotes fire education efforts. David encouraged all residents to:
- Harden their homes against fire
- Implement a recommended fire management program
- Register with community emergency warning systems
- Evacuate early – don’t delay!
- Schools and Communities First petition: Michael Nye asked for signatures to place on the state ballot a measure to split the property tax roll, keeping the Proposition 13 tax limits for residential, small business and agricultural property, but eliminating those limits for most commercial and industrial buildings and land.
- World AIDS Day will be observed December 1 at Richmond City Hall, said Joey Smith
- ECDC Climate Change Subcommittee materials were distributed by Bob McDonald
The Club adjourned at 8.15pm.