Club members brainstormed a number of ECDC-led initiatives and objectives for 2015 at the January meeting. The Executive Board discussed the ideas and based on capacity of the Board and feasibility of topics, is recommending the following list below:
The overall goal of the year is to increase the number of members in the Club. By taking on policy issues in the community, we hope to create and increase interest in the Club (and gain more members).
These are policy issues the Club would research, draft, work with relevant stakeholders and advocate for at the City/County level.
- Bring resolution to reform Citizen United Resolution to El Cerrito City Council 2.
- Draft a Living Wage Ordinance and get it passed by El Cerrito City Council
- Increase voting access and clean-up voter rolls
- Address Housing Issues-form a Club committee to look into issues and what other Cities are doing
- Increase homeless services in El Cerrito-advocate at County level
- Impose a vacant property registration fee for commercial property-partner with Economic Development Committee
Some of the other brainstormed initiatives, such as undergrounding services and WiFi, are more under the purview of the utilities companies and less Democratic Club policy issues.
These objectives are focused on the internal development of the Club.
- Update By-laws-focus on streamlining membership renewal process-Committee formed and will report to Club on progress
- Build partnerships with other Democratic Clubs in the area