The California Democratic Party’s African-American Caucus – co-sponsored by ECDC – hosted a candidate forum on Saturday, November 4. Below is the list of questions asked:
1) Should the Air Quality Management District have the authority to cap emissions?
2) Do you support the repeal of the Costa-Hawkins Act?
3) Do you support race-based Affirmative Action?
4) Do you support spending $20k in per-pupil funding (for public schools) by the year 2020?
5) The farmworkers were required to pick grapes during the Napa wildfires. What would you do to ease the burden on farmworkers (moderator changed the italicized words to “increase the protections of farmworkers”)?
6) How will you increase housing for low-to-moderate income families in AD 15?
7) What are your top three criminal justice reforms?
8) What would you do to bring a full service hospital to West County?
9) What would you do to prevent sexual harassment in Sacramento?
1) Should private companies be allowed to use prison labor?
2) Should CA ban fracking?
3) Do you support SB 562, the Healthy Californians Act (single payer health care bill)?
(Not lighting round)
1) Johannes Mehserle (BART police officer) killed Oscar Grant (African-American Oakland resident) in the Bay Area. What would you do to end extrajudicial killing by police officers?
2) How would you change the authorization process for charter schools?
Wondering about the candidates’ answers to these questions? Then come to the ECDC AD 15 candidate forum on February 27! Save the date!
Everyone: thanks again for pulling together for the Annual Dinner. Here are the results of the delegate election:
To meet the majority vote threshold, 19 “Yes” votes needed to be cast for each successful candidate delegate. Congratulations to Tom Cesa (30 “Yes” votes) and Paul Fadelli (19 “Yes” votes), who will be delegates to the early endorsement caucus. Special shout-out to the remaining delegate candidates, Marlene Keller and Mollie Hazen, for volunteering as candidates.
For the five remaining slots, the E-Board has appointed the following delegates to represent ECDC:
Special thanks to Hilary Crosby for taking extra time to recruit volunteers for these important positions.
Tomorrow, Saturday, October 28, is the Annual El Cerrito Democratic Club Dinner. It is also the day we will elect members to be delegates to represent our club at the California Democratic Party (CDP) endorsing caucus, which will take place in January, 2018.
If you were a member of the ECDC as of June 30, 2017 you are eligible to be a delegate. Please submit your statement of up to 50 words to email@example.com by 8 pm tonight.
We will have ballots at our dinner which will be available for ALL ECDC MEMBERS at 6 pm whether they attend the dinner or not.
Once again, in order to run, you must notify our club president Peter Chau via email by 8 pm tonight. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “I want to run” as the subject line. Include your statement of up to 50 words as the body of the email.
In order to vote, please come by the Arlington Community Church, 52 Arlington Avenue, Kensington, between 6 and 7 pm and pick up a ballot.
Ballots will be collected until 7 pm, and the results will be announced at the dinner.